Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Vintage Wednesday: Vintage Buttons


Since I talked a little about buttons yesterday, let me tell you a little more about them. Buttons have become a hot commodity - especially if they're highly decorative. Some buttons have historical significance, such as Civil War buttons. Others are created as specialty items by artists - JHB, a larger button company, is even offering button molds for the enterprising artist.

If you're interested in collecting buttons, there's a National Button Society to be joined. In that case, you should also look for a copy of "The Big Book of Buttons" by Elizabeth Hughes, which is considered THE reference book for button collectors and comes with a big price if you can find one today. Or, you can do what I do: collect what you love.

Though metal buttons are highly collectible, I'm not such a fan. I prefer glass - especially Czech glass with their iridescent or gilded swirls and flowers. I'm also a fan of paperweight buttons - tiny designs suspended in glass. And who doesn't love a carved mother of pearl button with their quiet dignity and grace?

If you've not yet discovered a love of buttons, pull out your mother's button stash (most mothers or grandmothers have one) and poke around. You might be surprised!

1 comment:

  1. When I was a little girl and we visited my Aunt Forrest, she'd always pull out her button collection for me and my brother to play with. We had more fun with those than anything else i can think of!

    ReplyDelete