Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Vintage Wednesday: London's Covent Garden Market

Apparently I have Europe on the brain this week because I'm gravitating toward writing about things I saw and found while visiting! This little certificate came from London's Covent Garden Market. London has several famous markets to visit and I've only scratched the surface of the lovelies available. I have, however, enjoyed the market at Covent Garden.

Covent Garden was the first public square in England - a result of first experiments in town planning. Anyone who's seen My Fair Lady will remember the flower and produce sellers hawking their wares in Covent Garden. And it's still a place to fuel your imagination - probably cleaner, but still contains some of the stalls built in the last century. You'll still find a flower seller or two!

The former vegetable market is now covered (though still open air) and contains some lovely shops and eateries. At the Jubilee Market, you can find antiques, arts & crafts or just a general flea market depending on the day you visit. As you pass through the stalls, you'll find a wide variety of colorful collectibles.

And that's how I found this sweet little drawing certificate from the turn of the last century. I found a stall full of ephemera and perusing through the boxes of stock, the design struck my eye. In typical Edwardian style, this certificate was presented to some lucky young lady upon completion of her drawing course. What a lovely keepsake for her and what a wonderful reminder of Covent Garden for me 100 years and an ocean away.

No comments:

Post a Comment