Friday, September 10, 2010

Foodie Friday: Cranberry Orange Ambrosia

I had a request the other day for a healthy fruity dessert. This is a recipe my Mom came up with and one that could make hubby lick the bowl - if he weren't such a gentleman. When he requests it, he calls it "ambrosia" - it's not your grandmother's ambrosia with the marshmallows and coconut. It's a healthier, updated version. And the best part is that you can keep the ingredients on hand in the pantry for a quick, delicious dessert.

You'll need:
A can of WHOLE cranberries
A can of crushed pineapple (in their own juice)
A can of mandarin oranges (in their own juice if you can get them)
A cup of nuts (I prefer either pecans or walnuts, which I keep on hand in the freezer)

Notice I've not been specific on the sizes of the cans. I usually use what's on hand in the pantry and I've found that no matter the combination, it always turns out delicious. If you have a larger can of one thing, that flavor will dominate. So here's an opportunity to experiment a little. Keep in mind too, that larger cans make a larger serving. I usually use the larger cans and have the salad for several days because there are only two of us eating it. I'd say the larger portion would be good for 2 meals for a family of four.

Make sure you use the can of whole cranberry sauce. This will ensure you have berries in the mix. Also it's healthier to use pineapple and mandarin oranges in their own juice rather than in "light syrup", but it's sometimes difficult to find the oranges. You can use whole pineapple rather than crushed. Just throw them in the blender for a light spin and it should crush them well enough. You might also find you prefer the whole pineapples.

To make this, I start with the can of cranberries. You might have to take a knife to the edges to help get it out of the can and it'll come out looking like the can. Don't worry, they'll still blend in. Over this I put the can of DRAINED mandarin oranges. I prefer the pineapple juice to the orange water and adding both makes it too runny. Then pour over your crushed pineapple and finally add the nuts.

Next, take a fork and gently start mixing this together breaking up the cranberries and stirring in the pineapple and nuts. Mix it until you have an even consistency - and it's ready to serve! Quick. Easy. Delicious!

5 comments:

  1. Do you think I could bake it and put a crust on top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried that, but it sounds delicious! With a brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and butter top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm feeling adventurous, I might add oatmeal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that WOULD make it a little healthier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I made this (without pecans) and I decided to make it into a warm dessert. I did a little sugar cookie type crust on the bottom of a pyrex pan and added the fruit mixture (with about 1 tsp corn starch) and then made an oatmeal crumb topping (with lots of butter) and baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes. Talk about a major hit!!! Delicious fruit combination!!!! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete