Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vintage Wednesday: Etched Ruby Bohemian Glass

I am by no means a glass expert. When looking at glass pieces, as with many other pieces, I look at the workmanship of the design more than the intrinsic value of the piece. Sometimes I'm lucky and design correlates with value, but I generally buy for decorative purposes. If it's pretty and goes with my home and the price is right, I'll pick it up!

That's how I found this piece. I've always been drawn to the etched glass with a ruby surface and clear etched design - not really knowing the history, but loving the look. We were searching out vases to use as table decorations for my wedding and we found this piece in an antique store on Main Street in Buckhannon, WV. I splurged for this piece - paid $35 when I was looking for things under $5 - but I have so enjoyed it in my home!

In doing a little research, it seems there was an artist in North Bohemia named Friedrich Egermann (1777-1864). He developed a glass staining and engraving technique that often incorporated shells, stags and chateaus. Today this glass is generally called Egermann glass and I believe this vase is an example of that style of work.

The glass is carefully stained with silver or copper at a high temperature to create the color layer. The glass is then cut or engraved - I've also seen this process called intaglio engraving, though again I'm no expert - and sometimes gilded with gold to create a sheen. I've seen variations in the examples of engraving, so look closely at a piece for the fineness of the design.

I'm still learning about this incredible process. I do know, however, that the end result is stunning and this vase full of red roses never fails to put a smile on my face. Thankfully, my husband appreciates this and feeds my whimsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment