Friday, September 24, 2010

Foodie Friday: Chicken Strawberry Wraps


Because I'm on vacation, one of my best friends in all the world agreed to step in and help me with a Foodie Friday post. As you can see, she's got a fantastic helper in the form of one of my adopted nephews. Obviously, from the smile on his face, this is a hit with little ones! Thanks ZTAMama (and son) for sharing!


Chicken Strawberry Wraps

One of my favorite go to meals especially in the summer is Chicken Strawberry Wraps because I can usually make them without heating up the house. I try not limiting this delicious treat just to the summer. With some subtle adjustments you can really carry this throughout the year. For example, I try to use the fruit on hand - berries are more plentiful in the summer and sliced apples or peaches are a nice treat for late summer and early fall.

Certainly in the winter and into the spring you may try to use either canned fruit such as pineapples, cranberry sauce, or even oranges. Frozen fruit is okay too, but you will need to make sure to thaw well and pat dry before placing into the wrap so as to not make it too soggy. The possibilities are endless, just feel free to experiment and see what flavor combinations you enjoy!

Today, in an effort to hang on to summer a little longer, I am using strawberries. You will need:

- Chicken - I either grill 1-2 chicken breasts or tenders and dice when cooked or, in this case, have reinvented a meal from earlier in the week. We had bbq chicken and had some left overs. I pulled the chicken off of the bone and used that.

- Tortilla wraps. 8 inch seem to work the best as anything smaller is tough to layer with all of the items. In an effort to make this more heart healthy, I have used whole wheat ones, but have used plain flour ones as well.

- Handful of strawberries, sliced - Usually 3-4 depending on the size

- 1-2 cups of rice - Due to using the whole wheat tortilla, I chose plain white minute rice, but again to taste. Also, I used another cost stretching measure - I had some left over rice in the freezer and placed an ice cube in the bowl as I reheated the rice in an effort to add moisture back into the rice and make it fluffy once again.

- Greens - I have used Romaine hearts as well as some baby spinach.

- Cheese - Your choice, but I usually have a large package of the shredded Mexican (three cheese) mix on hand.

- Salad Dressing - or as my kids call it, dip! There are many kinds out there, but I feel that Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing really seems to bring out the sweetness of the berries. Also pictured I have shown a Pomegranate vinaigrette and oil as another possibility.


The beauty of this meal is that you can make it your own and like tacos - every family member can make it to their liking. All of my kids enjoy this meal, though my Jr. Chef of the day likes it just as I described above!

A simple layering of the items and you have a delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive meal in minutes.

1 comment: