Thursday, September 23, 2010

Inspiration Thursday! Something out of Nothing


Sometimes I look at the jumble of beads I've collected over the past 6 years and have absolutely no inspiration. There's nothing that catches my eye. There's no pendant that inspires a larger design. There's just nothing in me that says it's time to create.

I've found, though, as I sit and stare at my pile of beads, that the creative fire is sometimes locked inside because of external pressures that are keeping me from being able to focus on creating. For me, it's sometimes my job and a deadline I have to make. But I'll be honest, it's also the laundry that's piled up, the dishes that haven't been done, a hungry husband growling for food or a corgi puppy with big brown eyes and a throw toy begging to play. All these things can distract you from that creative energy.

So what's my secret to inspiration? Well, sometimes I need a kick start. Often just handling the beads can start a creative stream. Sometimes this means pulling out every bin and pulling out many bags of beads, rolling them onto the bead board and arranging them with other complementary colors. I allow myself to make a mess knowing the end result will be more good than bad.

But sometimes it's a mental game of forcing yourself to focus. A process of visualizing yourself allowing all those other things to fall away.

It's giving yourself permission to play while also giving yourself permission to fail in getting it all done.

Because for those of us who feel empty when we don't create but feel the pressures of life caving in, giving yourself permission to fail can be the key.

After all, the dishes will be there tomorrow and laundry is never done.

1 comment:

  1. or you can just call your best bud, get her to drag all her beads to your place and you have yourselves a bead orgy. :)

    ReplyDelete