Friday, September 17, 2010

Foodie Friday: The cucumber


The cucumber? Am I really devoting a post to a cucumber? Well friends, in an effort to share my random bits of knowledge with you, I feel the need to share what I've learned about the cucumber. Because they're just that good.

Cucumbers were always a summertime favorite at our house. Usually they were served with onions after they'd been marinated in a sugary vinegar mixture. They're also delicious in a salad with tomatoes and feta. But did you know that there are different types of cucumbers? And that each has a different flavor? And that a cucumber is technically (botanically) a fruit?

Most people in the U.S. are familiar with what is commonly called "slicers." These are the cucumbers that are fat and usually waxed up in the grocery store. You'll find them on most salad bars and this is the variety my grandparents usually grew in their gardens. Another variety you often see in the U.S. are shorter versions of the slicer used for pickling. These show up at farmers' markets in the summertime and my grandmother used to pickle a batch every summer. Wikipedia lists 12 different kinds of cucumbers. I didn't know there were so many varieties!

But today my friends, I want to introduce you to the king of cucumbers - the English cucumber. Maybe you've heard of it? Or seen it? It's usually the long skinny cucumber that's wrapped in plastic near the organic foods. Why is the English cucumber superior you ask? (go along with me here) Because the skin is thinner, the taste is sweeter and there are fewer seeds - thus it falls under the heading of a "burpless" cucumber.

Yes my friends, that's the important knowledge I have to share with you today. Yes, yes, I know your lives would not be complete without this information. But seriously, you should try one if you've not. They're delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I choose to use these when I make cucumber water - a refreshing treat any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete