Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Working Tuesday: Creating a new product line

You may have noticed I'm a fan of photography. That's not to say I've learned much beyond set my camera on automatic and shoot. But I am learning and I'm always looking for the perfect photo.

I've been toying with the idea of creating a product line that somehow incorporates my photographs. I've thought of calendars and note cards. The problem is finding an artist to do a layout and then finding the right printer to print the product.

For many years, I've used Shutterfly to create notecards and calendars for my family and friends. The problem has always been with their need to brand the heck out of their products. I understand they have begun a program for those interested in selling their work that allows the artist to put their branding on the back instead of the Shutterfly logo. I'm still investigating this and other routes to find the best product I can offer customers.

The bottom line is that starting a new product line is not always as simple as having a vision or idea. Often the key is in execution and the perseverance to find the right path to a marketable finished product. And sometimes I have a hard time getting down that road.

No comments:

Post a Comment