Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Working Tuesday: Estate Sale Finds


At some point I'll do a Weekend Wanderings post on Estate Sales in the DC area, but in the meantime I'll just show you what I recently found on one of my weekend expeditions. My mother-in-law happens to be a treasure hunter at heart as well, so we headed out with our lists and our maps and found a winner. This particular house had a good many linens (hmmm, that gives me an idea for a Vintage Wednesday post...) and I found a few treasures this particular day.

It was when I was leaving, however, that I found one of the best treasures. I looked down and under the foot of the cashier table, I saw this little scrap of embroidered fabric. It looks like silk embroidered on silk and it's about three inches wide by about two and a half inches tall. When I asked the cashier how much she would want for it, she said, "Just take it." Who says some of the best things in life aren't free?? I'm trying to figure out how to make a pendant out of it (as someone has already outlined a lovely shape on the back), but in the meantime I'm admiring the colors!

Our last stop of the day was also fruitful as my MIL found a box full of old jet jewelry that she handed to me to "make something wonderful." I also found a collection of little Christmas figurines from the 1930s that look like they were made from pine cones. They apparently danced among the little pine trees that I found nearby. I've seen designers such as Jennifer Murphy (love her work!!) who make wedding cake toppers out of similar designs and I'm now dreaming up creative ways to incorporate these little babies into a design!

I guess the point is that you can find creativity almost anywhere - if you look for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment