Monday, May 3, 2010

DIY Monday: Habitat ReStore

I'm not a "super green" girl, but I try to do my part to recycle everything I can, re-use or re-purpose things other people may throw away and I take it as my personal mission to "rescue" furniture that's been designated as trash... as long as we have room for it in the house. Now, you could be thinking "trash picker" when you read that last bit. I prefer to think of myself as a treasure hunter. My husband is slowly moving toward the "treasure hunter" side in his opinion of my activities. It's been a long discussion and thankfully he still loves me.


There's a place that helps me accomplish my re-purposing goals when doing home improvement: The Habitat ReStore. The ReStore takes donations of building supplies, appliances, furniture and some housewares from folks who are doing a bit of renovation or replacing old with new. Proceeds from the sales at the ReStore go to Habitat for Humanity - so it's a win all around!


I mentioned in my bathroom renovation taking out our old sinks and base cabinets. The base cabinets we re-purposed for our kitchen, but the top with the double sinks went to the ReStore. We looked for months to find the perfect wall cabinets, and sure enough they eventually showed up! You can find building supplies, doors, toilets, sinks, shutters, tiles, light fixtures, cabinets, sliding doors, furniture and even books, mirrors and housewares at the ReStore. And the inventory changes every time you visit.

The last time I went they had apparently gotten a shipment of wall cabinets new in the box! Cabinets ranged from $5 to $1,000 for a whole kitchen of high end Cherry cabinets. There was also a lovely green cabinet to house a TV and assorted "stuff" for only $55. I've seen about 30 TV armoires that had come out of a hotel somewhere. My best find was the federal style buffet that holds our TV that only needed a little Old English and Briwax polishing. It was only $150!


The Alexandria ReStore is a bit difficult to find the first time because the entry is in the back of the building. You should turn into the parking lot when you see the signs for Gold's Gym and then follow the signs.



If you're thinking of redoing something on a budget, check the ReStore first!

No comments:

Post a Comment