Friday, May 14, 2010

Foodie Friday: Summer Tomato Cucumber Salad

As promised, after weeks of Italian pasta and bread, I thought I'd share a healthier option: summer tomato cucumber salad. I love making this in the summer because it's so easy to get fresh tomatoes at farmer's markets and even in the grocery store. If you're lucky, you grow your own!

Let's start with the ingredients:
4-5 Tomatoes (for this recipe I mixed several different kinds and because some were smaller I used more)
1 large English cucumber (no seeds!)
1 container Feta cheese
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Raspberry Vinegar (I like the sweetness)
1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Sugar (optional)

First, cut up the tomatoes. Having a good knife makes this job SO much easier. We were blessed with a set of Whustof knives when we got married and this tomato knife was part of that bounty. It has a pointed end to get through the core of the tomato and then a serrated edge that cuts through the skin without tearing it. It's WONDERFUL!

Put the tomatoes aside in a bowl and cut up your cucumber. I like to cut it in half lengthwise and then cut the half into thirds and then into smaller pieces. Throw those in with the cucumbers and pour in your feta.

Mix the oil, seasonings, sugar and vinegar with a whisk and pour it over your salad. Then mix it all up with your hands (my preferred method) or a spoon. I like to serve this at room temperature so that the oil stays smooth, so if you have to refrigerate, let it sit out a minute before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment