Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vintage Wednesday: Celebrating Vintage Style

Last weekend we celebrated a very special event - my mother's 70th birthday. Because I tend to do flowers for events like this, the ladies who planned the event asked me to do the flowers. The problem with this is that I live 4 hours away and bringing 14 arrangements across the mountains presented a bit of a problem. So I came up with the idea of using potted perennial plants Mama could use in her garden later. But that didn't seem like quite enough for an event like this.

The ladies had also asked me to say a few words about my mother. Most of them have known her for 30 plus years, so to say something they hadn't heard or thought was a challenge. I came up with the idea of writing the story of her life in pieces. Each table was set with vintage and antique items that had something to do with the part of the story I was telling. For example, there was a table that told the story of her grandmother's influence on her life, another telling about her mother and yet another about her aunts. One table told the story of her brothers, and another told the story of how she met my father. Each was a little snapshot of what made her the woman she is today. And most everyone learned something they hadn't known about Mama before the party.

I am so thankful to the women who planned this party and honored to have contributed just a little piece to the celebration. Using vintage items to help tell the story was a lovely way to celebrate - vintage style.






No comments:

Post a Comment