Saturday, December 18, 2010

Weekend Wanderings: Ethoipian Food in the City

I have a friend who's Ethiopian. I met him almost 10 years ago and love catching up with him - he's a true embodiment of the American Dream. He was the one who introduced me to Ethiopian food, and is generally one of the few people I can get to eat that particular cuisine with me. Of course, I'd seen movies where people ate with their hands and knew a bit about the food, but didn't really know about the spices and the BREAD until he introduced me to my first meal.

I've found that people either love or hate Ethiopian food. There's not often an in between. For my husband, he's not a fan of the bread. I, on the other hand, LOVE the bread.

You can ask the restaurant to prepare your food so that it's spicy or mild. There are chicken dishes, beef dishes, and many, many vegetable offerings like gomen, which is a spinach dish. And don't get me started on the lentils!

If you're interested in trying out a delicious Ethiopian restaurant in the City, there are several places you can go. My favorite thus far is Dukem Restaurant on U Street. We had to wait for a table, but it was worth the wait! The waitresses wear what I'm assuming is supposed to resemble traditional dress and are very friendly. Excellent restaurant guide ratings line the walls and I understand it's always crowded - so I'm not the only person to agree it's delicious. If you've not tried this cuisine before, break out of your shell! Try it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been hankering to try Ethepoian cuisine but never know where to go and don't know anyone I could ask locations of. Thanks for the Dukem tip though, I'll definately be make a visit to sample the food.

    ReplyDelete