Thursday, December 9, 2010

Inspiration Thursday! Handmade Christmas

Christmas was always a "big deal" in my home growing up. After all, we're celebrating the birth of baby Jesus and birthdays are a "big deal" too in our family. Mama's family used to have a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake in their celebration tradition. And our family has our own traditions too... but that's another story for another day.

This Christmas we don't have as much money as we'd like to give what we'd like to the ones we love - and I don't think we're the only ones in this boat. It's gotten me thinking about how Christmas seems to have gotten really big and really commercial in my adulthood. Maybe it's because I'm a grown up now and actually see the sales flyers and incentives to get the newest electronic gadget?

I remember how thrilled I was the Christmas I got a My Friend Mandy doll complete with wardrobe. Mama had spent nights making a wardrobe for Mandy - something I knew because my room was over the sewing room and for many nights before Christmas I fell asleep to the whir... whir... whir... of the sewing machine. I knew Mama had worked so hard to make that Christmas special, and it's one of the best Christmas presents I remember.

So as I've been rushing around trying to finish up Christmas shopping, it's struck me that this year gifts don't have to be elaborate. The whole point is to celebrate a birthday, show some love and let people know they're special to us. And for many in my family, that means it's a handmade Christmas. I'm giving them something that's very precious to me - time. I'm spending time making things for them instead of just pressing a button and having something shipped.

I don't know if amid the flurry of wrapping paper and electronics my gifts are going to be the stand out gifts of the season, but I do know I'm giving a part of me this year. I'm not just checking off a name on a list. I'm working toward something a little more special this year. And I'm returning to the Christmas of my childhood where the best gifts are the ones made especially for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment