Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Working Tuesday: Eyeglass Leashes


I've got a brand new batch of eyeglass leashes for the Etsy shop. It took me FOREVER to figure out what these are called, but I finally found the proper name. I started making these a couple years ago for my mother because although she doesn't wear necklaces (because she doesn't like her neck of 70 years), she constantly wears eyeglass leashes. She liked them so much she encouraged me to make some for the shop. And so I have!

Because she likes quite a bit of color, I used Millefiori beads as the base for determining the colors in each of the leashes. I then made her several colors so that no matter the outfit she always has something that coordinates with her outfit.

I've learned, however, that you can't just attach the plastic eyeglass holder directly to the strung beads. Invariably the plastic part breaks or stretches out to the point that it's unusable and the whole thing has to be re-strung. This is where the lobster clasp comes in handy! String a lobster clasp on the end of your beads and then use the clasp to attach the plastic eyeglass holder to the end. If the plastic part breaks, just clip on another!

Many of the leashes you see use seed beads as the main type of bead. I prefer, however, to use larger beads. The more substantial beads make it look more like a necklace and Mama always knows when she's lost one end of her glasses.

And now you know... the rest of the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment