Friday, October 1, 2010

Foodie Friday: SUPER easy side dish - Tomato Mozzarella Salad


I know this is probably the easiest side dish in the world and most of you have figured it out, but for those of you who haven't here you go.

Gather:
Fresh Mozzarella
Fresh Tomatoes
Balsamic Vinegar (I used white for this dish)
Salt and Pepper
Basil is optional as is olive oil

I think this dish is best in the summertime because fresh tomatoes are more delicious, but vine ripe tomatoes will do in a winter pinch.

Slice your tomatoes in about 1/2 inch slices and lay them out on a serving dish. Slice the fresh mozzarella in the same thickness and lay one slice per tomato. If you like basil, put one basil leaf on top of the pile.

I then liberally pour balsamic vinegar over the whole thing and allow it to sit and marinate for 5-10 minutes. The cheese and tomatoes tend to soak up the vinegar with yummy goodness. I use white balsamic vinegar because it has a bit of sweetness that I enjoy, but regular balsamic is good too. Some people add olive oil, but I don't think you need it. I do, however, finish up with a little salt and pepper - I prefer sea salt and fresh ground pepper, but tonight mine are still in the bags that went to the beach and haven't yet been unpacked!

And there you have it my friends. The easiest side dish in the world that can also be a meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment