Thursday, October 14, 2010

Inspiration Thursday! Attitude Adjustment.


When my brother and I were little and acting ornery, Mama used to tell us she was going to give us an "attitude adjustment." That signaled that she was ~this~ close to changing our behavior for us if we couldn't do it ourselves. But that was when I was young.

As I've gotten older I've realized that to a great extent I'm responsible for my own attitude adjustments. I have a choice in life. I can wallow in my sorrows or I can count my blessings. And remember that song Bing Crosby sang in White Christmas called Count Your Blessings? I sing that to myself every so often:

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

So as we enter into an election season where candidates are telling us how bad things are and as we try to weather the economic storm, I think a lot about this concept. And I constantly remind myself (and sometimes hubby) to count our blessings. If you have a job, a car, a home, pay your bills on time, can put food on the table for your family or even have family that's helping you get through, you're incredibly blessed. Finding the joy that comes with the realization of those blessings can literally change your attitude - leaving more room for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment