Friday, October 29, 2010

Foodie Friday: Crock Pot Pot Roast

It's fall, which means it's time for hearty meals in my household. It also means I like to have dinner waiting when I get home! Thus, crock pot pot roast is a fall favorite in my house.

To make a roast, you'll need to pull together a couple things:
Eye of Round Roast
Onions
Potatoes (Red)
Italian Seasoning
Worcestershire Sauce
Light Soy Sauce
Optional ingredients:
Carrots
Zucchini
Tomatoes

First, cut off all visible fat from the roast and brown it on the stove, turning the roast so that all sides are browned. This helps lock in the flavor so to speak. Take your browned roast out of the skillet and transfer it to the bottom of the crock pot - I like to layer my veggies on top of the roast to give it flavor.

I then cut small, skinned onions into halves and layer these over the meat. For this roast, I used 5 small onions and thought I should have added more when the roast was done - I can never have enough of these roasted onions!

Wash some red potatoes and put these into the crock pot as well. You can also add zucchini or yellow squash cut into large pieces, whole tomatoes, and either baby carrots added whole or larger carrots cut into chunks.

Once you have all your veggies in the pot, pour 1/4 cup LIGHT soy sauce (cut out the salt!!) and 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce over the whole thing. Finish off by sprinkling with Italian seasoning and a little pepper.

Cover the crock pot and cook on high for at least 8 hours - don't worry if it cooks longer. If you're at home while it's cooking, you can turn the roast about halfway through so that both sides are juicy, but it's fine to leave it as is! When you open it up at the end of the day, the roast will have cooked out some lovely juices, the onions will have caramelized to a lovely brown and your potatoes and veggies will be infused with flavor. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment