Saturday, October 16, 2010

Weekend Wanderings: Avon, NC - OBX

We've been very, very lucky to have a little time away at the beach this fall - including my first trip to the Outer Banks. Now I'm going to admit something that may be slightly sacrilegious to the beach lovers in the group: I love the beach in the off season.

My husband, who grew up within spitting distance of the ocean, thinks there's something terribly, terribly wrong with me. He, however, was born with skin that turns a golden brown in the sun. I, on the other hand was "blessed" with Irish skin - the kind that turns a lobster like red when exposed to the sun. I also contend that you get MORE of the beach in the off season - prime spots, open sand, easy parking - you get the idea. And let's face it, it's CHEAPER to go to the beach off season!

I'd been told that Sun Realty was the way to go when searching for a rental and they worked well for us - friendly staff, very helpful after hours and they have offices EVERYWHERE it seems. We found a lovely (Corgi friendly) condo in Avon, NC just steps from the Sound. The view was incredible! We spent an entire morning watching a pelican diving for fish and another morning I walked Corgi-girl to the dock where we watched a school of fish just under the water. It was just lovely!

We were able to travel the length of the Outer Banks and I think Hatteras was my favorite part. It's wilder there - more natural. And the scenery is incredible. I also enjoyed meeting the people of Hatteras. I met a local seafood store owner who "retired" to OBX, but who is working harder than he did before he retired. We had an interesting political discussion.... I loved talking to someone who so obviously loved where he lives and what he does - how refreshing for someone living in DC!

I'd say overall that if you want a get away that brings you close to nature, away from the bustle of tourist attractions, with incredible views, Avon or Hatteras on the whole might be for you!

And I hear the kiteboarding winds are killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment