Friday, March 18, 2011

Foodie Friday: The only thing I didn't ruin this week


I have a very patient husband.

Our second date consisted of my asking him to my home for a home cooked meal. For me, it was just a way to see if I was comfortable having him in my home - the cooking part was no big deal for me. For him, it was a life-changing event (because I'm telling the story). It was the first time a "date" had ever cooked for him. It was the best pot roast he'd ever had. It was the best salad he'd ever had. In short, my cooking hooked him on the second date. I was a rock star. (I promise some of this is true.)

This week, I've not been even close to a rock star. Not. Even. Close. I've ruined just about everything I've cooked. My loving husband has kindly eaten his way through my failures while I've munched on cereal. He must love me because I'd made some pretty bad stuff this week. The only thing that turned out, in fact, was a loaf of beer bread.

Ingredients I used on this batchMost of y'all know I don't bake unless it's from a box. I don't do bread because I don't like to get my hands sticky. Just not my thing. My mom, however, kept telling me about this beer bread recipe that was hopelessly easy to make and didn't involve getting your fingers sticky. I figured I could try it.

Ingredients include:
3 cups self-rising flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 bottle or can of beer - 12 oz.

Put your flour into your bowl - make sure you use self-rising because all-purpose flour just makes a rock solid loaf of bread that doesn't rise. Add your sugar and mix the two together. I then make a "moat" in my flour into which I then pour the beer. Take a fork and pull your flour into the beer until you no longer have dry flour left. You don't ever have to touch this stuff!

Take a large loaf pan and coat it with butter or cooking spray - I used Irish butter for this batch because it's St. Patrick's Day week... and because it's delicious. Then take about a tablespoon of flour and coat the butter so your loaf doesn't stick. Dump in your batter and evenly distribute it and you're ready to pop it into the oven - a COLD oven. Can you imagine? Turn it on to 350 degrees when you put it in and cook for an hour and 15 minutes. About an hour in, I put a little more of the Irish butter on the top to make the crust golden brown. When it's done, I immediately pulled it out of the pan and put it onto a cooling rack... and immediately cut myself a hot piece to cover with more Irish butter! Because this was my meal. Did I mention I'd failed at all the other dishes I made this week?

1 comment:

  1. According to my foodie friend, Connie, she says the following "recipe" will allow you (and those of us who have *only* all purpose flour to convert to self-rising)

    for 1 cup of self-rising you need:

    1 cup All Purpose flour

    1 tsp Baking Powder

    1/2 tsp salt

    * you may want to mix together in a sep. bowl so you still won't have to get your hands sticky.

    ReplyDelete