Monday, March 28, 2011

DIY Monday: Is it spring yet?

We had snow last weekend. I've been spoiled with days nearing the 70 degree mark and then - BAM - we get snow. It tried to cover the cherry blossoms and the daffodils, but they were made of sterner stuff!

In celebration of their perseverence, I was inspired to make a spring wreath to welcome guests into my home. Actually, it was to remind us of the promise of Spring as we travel back and forth to work.

Because I don't have a ton of time, I decided on the super easy version of this project. And then I went to my local Michael's to pick up my supplies:
  • Styrofoam wreath (I chose the rounded rather than the flat variety)
  • One package Spanish Moss (because the greener moss was way too expensive)
  • Some hot glue (because I have no idea where mine is right now)
  • A tiny nest (because nothing says Spring like nestlings!)
  • Some turquoise ribbon
  • And the thing that caused me the most trouble - tiny eggs for my nest

The first step is to attach the Spanish moss to the styrofoam wreath form with hot glue. I beaded the glue along the wreath and pressed the moss into the glue. Be careful not to burn your fingers as you're doing this.



As I mentioned above, the thing that gave me the most trouble was finding the right size and color of eggs. I'd hoped I could find some flower sprays with the eggs already attached in a tasteful robin's egg blue with brown speckles. I had no such luck. After searching the store for wooden eggs, then paper eggs and even a turn around the clay aisle (to make eggs), I settled on the glitter-laden eggs from the floral sprays in the Easter displays at the front. Since only one of the eggs had the glittery goodness, I had to walk around and find some glitter paint that would give me the same effect on the non-glitter egg that was included in the spray.

Having found the glitter paint, I spread it over the surface of the non-glittery egg to create a more uniform looks. Once that dried, I glued it into the nest and then glued the nest into the now Spanish moss covered wreath.



And that is how I now have a touch of Spring on my front door with less than an hour invested in the hunting, gathering and making of the wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment