Monday, March 14, 2011

DIY Monday: Behind door number 1....




This post is about getting behind. Getting behind in projects. Getting behind in fixing things. And specifically getting behind my bathroom door.

About 2 years ago we undertook the renovation of our bathrooms - documented here for all of those interested in that endeavor. As happens with all projects, when you get to the end of the project, you're ready for the project to be over. Done. Finis. And thus we are left with the picture above.

The fixtures were the first things bought for the project, but the last things put up. As we were putting hooks into a hollow core door, we were in need of some good anchors. And on this particular hook, I'd run out of the proper sized anchors. As I was behind, I fudged and used a larger anchor, pounded it into the door (because that's how I roll people), screwed in my screw and covered it up with the hook. And I was DONE. Finished. Right? Wrong.
Yup, you guessed it, on the first use, the hook ended up looking like this. And it's stayed looking like this ever since. It started out so right... see the painstaking way I'd drawn measured the placement and drawn an outline of the underplate in preparation of hanging? How I'd carefully drilled the proper sized holes for placement? But then, because I was behind, I tried a shortcut that didn't work and have been left with this for roughly two years. So I'm making this my project of the week. Hopefully next week I'll have pictures that show a properly anchored door hook. 

And the moral of the story? Even if you do get behind, it pays to do the job right the first time!


No comments:

Post a Comment