Monday, April 12, 2010

Sisters

If you're very lucky in life, you have people in your life who begin as friends, but end up as adopted family. I'm very thankful I have many women in my life who've adopted me just as much as I've adopted them. I've got many, many sisters at this point in my life and each brings so much joy, talent, wisdom and support to my life. I'm especially thankful since I started out with only a brother to my name.

For some reason, these sister-friends have correlated to different phases in my life - bringing my love an support as I've grown and changed. They've listened as I've grouched, cried and jumped for joy. And no matter how crazy my ideas, they love the crazy in me.

I had three women stand with me when I was married (through what one of them called the longest ceremony on earth). One is a friend from high school who went to my church, but with whom I bonded in typing class of all things. We sat together hacking at electric typewriters back in the 1980s and now we share a love of making jewelry - among other things. She's a horse lover (her first son's name is Brady if you ask her) and even though she didn't think she wanted kids, she was surprised with a little boy about five years ago. I was able to visit with her just last week. I LOVE seeing her with her son and I'm so glad God knew better for her life.

I've also got two college friends who've become sisters. To one, I'm Auntie Deb to her three boys and I CHERISH each one of them as if they really were of my own blood. They are precious to me as is their mother who has the patience of a SAINT.

My other college friend is the creative talent behind Milk Money Designs, a line I'll soon be featuring in the Etsy shop. Her name is Kat and if you ask her, anything "wicked" I've done in my life, I was probably egged on by her to do it. Her parents have become my adopted parents here in DC. Mama E has helped me through many a trial in my life and she makes killer stollen at Christmas (I'm still trying to master it despite her patient instruction).

Another is a friend from law school who is now a practicing attorney making her way in the big NYC. She's that friend who is so stylish and BRILLIANT - passed two bar exams in three days - sometimes I wonder why in the world she deigned to hang out with plain old me. But it works, and she keeps up with me even when I'm off in la la creative land bringing sanity and a dry sense of humor to my world.

Then there are my 10-40 girls. These are women I met many years out of school with whom I have prayed, laughed, cried and eaten for the past six years or so. We have a cook book to prove it. They know my deepest secrets, joys and sadness. They too are an incredibly talented, intelligent group of women who make my life so rich and who love me for who I am. I'm so proud to call them sisters too.

So why am I writing about all these women? Because Saturday all these women played a part in my day and I felt I should say thank you in a way.

I went to Mama E's house to catch up Kat, who's been living in Canada for nearly nine months now. She's in town visiting her parents and we'd planned a day together. Mama E has a GORGEOUS house and even more beautiful gardens full of flowering trees. I love going to their house if only for the peace that descends when you walk through the door and are surrounded with love.

As usual, I walked into the house, yelled hello from the door and was greeted by all with hugs and kisses. I was immediately offered food and tea and a seat in the newly-renovated kitchen that overlooks the back yard with an incredible flowering cherry tree. As I watched the sunlight hit the tree, I had to jump up and try to capture the light on the blossoms on the tree and other plants in the garden.

I'd taken along with me my camera - a fancy digital SLR that wouldn't have been possible without the contribution of many of the women listed above. Several of them got together for a recent "landmark" birthday of mine and gave me a check toward the purchase of that camera - a gift that's given me so much joy in the past several months!

So as I was out in the garden snapping away, I was thinking of all the women in my life who helped me get this wonderful camera for this beautiful day so I could capture the beauty around me. Later Kat and I shared news of the sister-friends from my wedding. How are they? What are they doing? Made anything fun lately? It was a great time to catch up and remember our times together.

As I left, I was glowing with the love of so many sisters who've filled my life with joy. And a surrogate Mama who's always ready with advice, hugs and love... not to mention a killer garden and the generosity to share that beauty with me. I am truly blessed. Thank you sister-friends for all you've given me in this life. You are the bright lights around me!

P.S. The photos in this posting are all from Mama E's garden!

1 comment:

  1. hugs, kisses, tea & cookies...the door is ALWAYS open for you. I'd be lost without ya babe!

    ReplyDelete