Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Working Tuesday: Nature's Call

You might have noticed I take a lot of photos that don't include people. Someone pointed this out when looking at a scrapbook of one of my vacations. I took over 1,000 photos on that vacation and had only 3 photos of people traveling with me - including pictures of me!

I think the answer to why this occurs is that nature and architecture inspire me. The order of architecture, the balance is calming to me. I love to see how curves are integrated into squares and vice versa. And the colors of nature teach me how color can come together in unusual ways. Look at the spectrum of green in one tree - from yellow to bluer greens.

I think, though, my greatest inspiration is the ocean. I certainly go back to those colors and textures. I love to use pearls and shells and my fingers itch to start sculpting sea creatures. The ocean too has variations in color. From far away it can look deep blue, but up close you see how light refracts to create greens and whites and blues. And sometimes, if you're in the right water, you can see the bottom of the ocean: sand, shells, sea creatures. Delightful!
This weeks projects reflect nature and the sea. One piece is the finished flower pendant I was working on last week. The other is a new piece using shell and diamond shaped pearls. I love how colors appear as the light hits that shell and those pearls. Pinks and blues shine through that creamy white color. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment