Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Working Tuesday: Precious Metal Clay


I've been intrigued lately with the possibility of working with Precious Metal Clay (PMC). I've always loved the work of silversmiths. There's something about the intricacy of design that pulls me in every time. I've always wanted to know how to make what I love and this is no exception.

PMC allows even the most amateur of artists to make completed silver pieces. It combines microscopic particles of precious metals (silver, gold, bronze, copper) with a moist binder that makes it work like modeling clay. Once the clay has dried, you fire it at a temperature that allows the particles to melt together while the binder burns away - leaving you with a beautiful 99% pure finished piece.

Since I grew up watching my Mom sculpt, and did some myself, the thought of sculpting isn't daunting. I've picked up some Fimo clay recently to being playing around with sculpting ideas. You can even mold the PMC, so any finished pieces I make with FIMO can be made into a mold for future metal charms or rings or whatever I can think up. You can even make molds of antique buttons and create silver buttons if you so choose. So many possibilities!

** Photos are property of the artists. Click on the photo to see the source along with more examples of PMC artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment