Friday, July 1, 2011

Foodie Friday: Easy Spaghetti Squash

My husband announced last week he's laying off pasta and rice. I pointed out that I use brown rice and whole wheat pasta when I cook, but he's adamant that he wants them out of his diet for the time being. I'm taking him at his word.

He doesn't know it yet, but instead of making (whole wheat) pasta, I'm substituting spaghetti squash for our pasta in a dish I'm making tonight. Quite honestly, I think it's easier to make!

First, identify a spaghetti squash in your local grocery store. It looks like a long yellow melon (or you can just look at the picture here). 
Then you poke holes into it like you do with a potato so it doesn't blow up in your microwave. Place it on some paper towels or a plate - because it will "weep" when cooked - and cook it in the microwave on high for 18 minutes - turning every 6 minutes. It should get squishy when you touch it once it's cooked.

Set it aside until it's cool enough to handle. Slice it in half on the long side of the squash and scoop out the long, spaghetti-like strands with a spoon. Toss with a little seasoning salt and butter before serving. I think it's a delicious substitution, but we'll see what he thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment