Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Working Tuesday: Czech Glass

I've been presented with the possibility of traveling to the Czech Republic this summer. Beyond a long-held dream of photographing old Prague, I'm also intrigued with the idea of finding a better supplier of Czech glass beads. What is now the Czech Republic was once Bohemia, and Bohemian glass making has a long history in the area - they've apparently been at this since the 13th Century!

Anyone who sews or knits has probably found that the glass buttons from this area are among the most decorative - especially the jet buttons or the buttons with an AB finish on them. I also love the pressed glass beads that come from the area. I've been especially inspired by the little pressed flowers and leaves as each gives me a plethora of design ideas. Interestingly, the bead maker pushes glass rods through a series of molds that make up to 20 beads at a time - allowing for as many as 1,000 beads made in one day by one person.

In my research I've found that there are markets in Prague that sell beads by the bag, which is really my idea of heaven. I've still got to figure out how I'd get them out of the country, but what a problem to solve!

For now, this is still in the dream stage, but I'm enjoying the dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment