Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Working Tuesday: Finding Good Silk Flowers

I had a friend who was getting married a couple months ago. She wanted a silk flower for her hair - a particular silk flower - and asked if I could make it for her. I told her I'd look for the flower (she had a picture she wanted to emulate).

I think it's very difficult to find good, milliner quality, silk flowers in the United States. I guess I say that because I've seen much better quality in Europe either in the land of hats, England, or the city of vintage finds, Paris. Occasionally I'll come across something I like in a home decorating shop and occasionally something will turn up in Pier 1, but for the most part I'm just not happy with the quality. I think it's because I love REAL flowers so much. If a silk flower can't capture a little of the movement of it's real sister, I'm not interested.

The other day, however, I was looking through my UK Wedding Flowers magazine and came across an article on silk flowers. Apparently, the economy has sparked a new push to use silks instead of real in weddings. They recommended a couple suppliers that I thought I'd pass on.

The first is a company called Bloom. They have some lovely arrangements, but they also sell bouquets and individual stems. For my purposes, I do actually like some of the arrangements, but I'd hate to cannibalize one to make a flower for one's hair! Debenhems is another of the choices the article mentioned. I had to search "Jane Packer" - the designer - to find the stems, but they did find the flower I was looking for (and wish I had found) back in August.

I'm going to continue my quest to find a U.S. supplier that beats these beauties. If you know of a good source, pass it along!

No comments:

Post a Comment