Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Vintage Wednesday: A girl and her chair, part 1

 I have a little obsession - with chairs. I love them. I especially love a chair with good bones. My family accepts this about me. My husband patiently lives with my obsession. I try to control my obsession.

I've found chairs at yard sales and estate sales - enough to fill my house with several left over in storage for the day I have a house big enough to hold them. I have tiny chair jewelry my obsession runs so deep. I even have chairs in my living room picked from the side of the road. One is a gorgeous red mohair I picked out of the trash and repaired. I'm assuming the trasher thought it was going to cost too much to have it recovered. Luckily I, the trashee, know how to do repairs. The matching couch and chair I brought to my marital home was found while Mama and I found were driving back from my taking the bar exam. That episode went something like:
Driving down a country road.
Me: "MY CHAIR!"
Mama: "Do we need to turn around?"
Me: "Yes. I think we do."
Mama: "Ok then."
Hairpin u-turn in the middle of nowhere, complete with tires screeching and spitting gravel. Negotiate for the chair and couch after discovering the matching couch in a cinder block "shop" next to the sellers double wide. Unload every seat and all our luggage out of the back of Mama's van. Reload my new couch and chair, random van seats and all our luggage. Drive another 5 hours with a van full of couch, chair, random van seats and all our luggage.

Mama was very patient with my obsession before I found my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment