Monday, March 22, 2010

Falling behind?

It's been a couple weeks since I've posted and I guess it's because I've been falling behind. I'm not sure where the time goes and I'm really not sure how others manage to carve out the time it takes to run a business on the side and keep up a blog.

Since I'm behind on the business, I figured I'd share what I HAVE been doing the past few weeks. I work for an advertising agency. We do what's called issue advertising, which means I don't sell toothpaste, I sell ideas or concepts. Usually we're advocating for a piece of legislation, sometimes it's a candidate, sometimes we're helping a company with their branding or reputation. Theoretically, I should be better at branding myself, but I have found it's somehow harder when YOU are the product. Anyone with me?

I've spent most of the day working on a TV spot. This is pretty much the sexy stuff in advertising. I do a ton of print and quite a bit of online, but most of my days are spent just making sure the wheels are turning in the right direction in a campaign. So when I get to work on a TV spot, the day gets a little more exciting.

Because we're advocating for a piece of legislation, this particular spot is to tell legislators their constituents support the legislation. It should also let people know why we're advocating for this position so they can join our group if they're so inclined.

That meant going out with a video camera a couple weeks ago and shooting what people had to say on our issue. We had about 8 people who were willing to get on camera and talk about this issue - mostly just telling us what they think about it. We went through about an hour and a half of tape looking for exactly the right clips that would tell the story we need to tell in 30 seconds. This can become difficult if people are long winded because, quick fact, it usually takes 30 seconds to say 70 words.

Did I mention I've learned to liberally edit my writing in this job?

So today I spent many hours in a room with an editor sorting through the clips, trying to find just the right combination that would lay out the problem and the solution for our issue all ending with a rousing call to action. We're heading back tomorrow to finish what I think - at this moment - is very close to telling the story I need to tell. Sometimes, though, you have to look away from a piece in order to figure out how the puzzle will eventually fall into place as it should.

It made me realize that this is what I love about the creative process. You can start with a pile of random stuff and end up with something that makes sense - if only to you. And if you're lucky, you'll make a thing of beauty.

I'm probably justifying myself, but I think sometimes it's okay to fall behind. Because creativity can't be rushed. And the laundry is going to be there tomorrow.

I hope you'll be here tomorrow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment