Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Buttons... buttons... buttons....

To say I've had a life long love of buttons probably doesn't exactly convey the crazy little welling of joy when I "find" a new stash of these little jewels. I think anyone who loves buttons understands what I mean. It's somewhat irrational the temptation to take each find home, add it to your special button pile that's kept for only the best of projects. And forget looking on ebay. That's just asking money to pour from your pockets in waves... at least that's true for me.

The first place I remember treasure hunting is in my Mama's button box - the button box that was added to her mother's button box, that was added to her mother's button box, and on, and on. I come from a long line of button hoarders. I remember there being smaller boxes and prescription bottles where an attempt at sorting had taken place. Pearl buttons were with pearl buttons, six of the same button strung together with string and baby buttons gathered in a Sucrets tin. I'd pick through them and pull out the ones I liked best, sorting as I went (I'm more than a little OCD, I admit it).

Then there are specific instances I remember being with Mama and finding buttons that demanded a special outfit, or an outfit that demanded special buttons. One such sighting was in Asheville, NC in a yarn shop. They had these amazing pewter buttons with thistles that were something like $8 each. My high school budget certainly couldn't afford such an outrageous sum, and even begging garnered only 3 of these precious thistles that later found a home on one of Mama's creations. Then there were the special trips to G-Street Fabrics in Rockville, MD with their rows of shelves of buttons that completed more than one of my formal gowns and countless jackets.

These days I haunt estate sales and flea markets hoping to find that box of a lifetime - the one with the carved pearl, the czech glass, the painted glass, faceted jet - buttons that go beyond the brown and black of most button boxes. And after years of searching I remember only three sales that really blew me away. The best was the flea market in Fairmont, WV where I found two large boxes of buttons, one white, one multi-colored, sitting under a table offered for $10 for the lot. I snapped those up!

I'm often left relying on the kindness of strangers. I had a former co-worker who cleaned out her mother's house after her death who remembered I was "crafty" and offered me the leftovers of a lifetime of sewing. That gift included not only buttons, but yarns and notions and books on pattern drafting - all welcome additions to my collection.

Most recently, my mother-in-law heard that I was again collecting buttons to use in my jewelry design. I had finally found a way to incorporate my love of buttons into my need to create. She unearthed her golden tin of buttons collected as a child with HER grandmother by going to the local salvage yard and pulling buttons from discarded clothing.

So how about you? Do you keep your buttons in their original boxes? Are yours sorted in old prescription bottles? Did some of your collection come from your mother or grandmother? Did you string them when you were young? Do you design outfits around the most special of your collection?

Am I alone in my love of buttons? I doubt I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment