Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inspiration Thursday! Simple Gifts.

The last few weeks have allowed time for reflection- a time of searching for direction. And to some extent, I've found it in the world around me.

I've been searching for ways to expand the business - finding something that's uniquely mine. I believe I've found an option if I can just make it a reality. And I found the option by looking around me, in my own little home and seeing the beauty just outside my door.

Last winter when the snow was blinding and insanely deep, I began to worry about the birds in the area being able to feed. Mama had given us a suet feeder for Christmas our first year together, but it had taken me this long to use it. I chose the Cardinal blend because I love the streaks of red across the snow. In return, a daddy and mama Cardinal became "regulars" at my balcony buffet. I've probably taken 100 pictures of these little birds as they've come and fed - one watching while the other eats. And I love the little personalities that have shone through.

And so this summer we expanded to a hummingbird feeder and a songbird mix in a larger bird feeder. I can't seem to catch the hummingbird in flight (still trying to figure out how to do that with the camera), but I've gotten a shot or two of a hummingbird resting on the feeder. RESTING! Who knew?

The larger feeder has a pair of goldfinches who, just like my Cardinals, take turns feeding while the other stands watch. The male's feathers almost glow in the early morning sunlight. And in the rain, I've found them sheltering on the perch, feathers puffed out to keep them warm and dry.

The Cardinals became tame enough that I could leave my deck door open and they'd still feed with the TV blaring and me talking and walking around the living room. These goldfinches are still a little skittish, but I have hope they'll learn to trust me - if Sophie would stop charging to the window to say hello!

From this, among other things, I've learned something this summer. If you constantly look around at what you don't have, you'll always be poor in mind and spirit. But if you take pleasures in the little blessings in life, keeping your eyes open to the gifts around you, you'll always be rich.

With these little beauties around, my life is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment