Monday, November 7, 2011

DIY Monday: We Three Kings

It's November. This year has blown by me and I can't quite believe it's here. November brings memories of holiday preparation and the excitement of Christmas pageants to come. I guess that's why things like random bits of trim and fabric catch my eye.

It usually happens like this: I'm rummaging through a box and I see a piece of fabric, braid, ribbon or trim that would make a great costume. You see, I was trained this way. I can't really help it. I spent my childhood rummaging through the bargain rooms of fabric stores looking for fabrics, trims or ribbons that would make a good costume. And this time of year it usually had something to do with a Christmas concert at church. Whether a chiffon head scarf for Mary or a striped fabric for Joseph, we were always looking for things that would create the illusion of Biblical times. Fake leather became a Roman officer's uniform. Silver fabrics were turned into helmets. We were always watching for "period appropriate" fabrics for outer robes for the disciples and a piece of rope was often called into service as a belt.

And so as I was rummaging through a box at an estate sale, this beautiful trim caught my eye. I could just see it on Herod's crown - because from the audience the gold, red and green would sparkle like jewels. And Mama thinks my compulsive organizing is a sickness....

No comments:

Post a Comment