Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vintage Wednesday: Tobacco Flannels

I was recently lucky enough to find a tobacco flannel at an estate sale. The guy checking me out shook his head when I walked up with the flannel - not expecting that I'd know what it was. In a way, I didn't as I'd always called them cigar box flannels. After doing some research, however, I've found that the correct name is probably tobacco flannel or tobacco felt. It seems cigar box collectors have challenged the thought that they were included in cigar boxes, though they really are the right size!

These were included as incentives for buying tobacco in the late part of the 19th Century into the early part of the 20th Century in the U.S. I understand that popularity waned with WWI, which makes sense given trends at the time. They come in different shapes and sizes (this one is one of the larger ones I've seen). Flags were a popular theme, but I've also seen butterflies and even a beaver.

I imagine the reason I knew what this was is that I'd seen them used in quilts. Industrious women apparently saw the beauty in these long before I graced the planet. I've also seen some beautiful example of silk cigar ribbons made into quilts or table covers.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this little beauty yet, but I sure am glad I found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment